SSDN Communities Celebrate the 50th Birthday of Earth Day Virtually
Fifty years ago, millions of people took to the streets on the very first Earth Day. They were demanding clean air and environmental protection, leading in part to the Clean Air Act, and other environmental protection laws. Today, climate change is still one of the biggest challenges faced around the world and more than ever it is the time to unite and advocate for the health of our earth!
Last week many of us celebrated the 50th birthday of Earth Day from home. This year’s celebration came with its challenges, but these challenges led to a great opportunity for SSDN member communities to engage families looking for activities for their children, and folks learning from home that are interested in learning more about how they can make a difference.
In an effort to showcase the innovative ways our SSDN communities celebrated Earth Day virtually, the Network hosted a member listening session and gathered a list of resources, social media shares, workshops and Earth Day 2020 challenges that our members shared over online platforms. Below is a list of efforts and graphics used to support the virtual 50th birthday of Earthday.
- Asheville, NC Earth Day Press Release
- Miami Beach, FL Sustainachella Virtual Events
- Dunedin, FL- 50 Ways to Live more Sustainably
- Fort Lauderdale, FL- City of Fort Lauderdale invites you to participate in Earth Day Bingo while maintaining social distancing. The first 50 City of Fort Lauderdale residents to complete 5 activities in a row will win a prize.
- Charlotte, NC- Post your own ideas & pictures of yourself & your family celebrating Earth Day at home
- Nashville, TN: For Earth Month Socket, Metro Nashville’s Sustainability Outlet, has been featuring several initiatives including:
- A city-wide art drawing contest for kids age 5-10 years old to draw the Socket mascot Socket the Dog. The contest launched April 1st and concludes April 30. Winners will be announced May 8th, including a People’s Choice Awards category.
- A feature highlighting Voices of Sustainability which will launch on Earth Day and includes interviews with nine members of Mayor Cooper’s Sustainability Advisory Committee sharing what a sustainable future looks like for Nashville
- A weekly new blog highlighting a different sustainability topic each of week of Earth Month
- Social media giveaways each week of eco-friendly swag (eg, reusable water bottle).
- Leon County, FL- Social media campaign “One green step” highlighting one step you can take every week. It’s a good message in sustainability and right now. It’s okay to do one small thing and that can add up.
- Miramar, FL: YouTube channel for the Miramar Community Garden. This is the first video of a series titled: Endless Supplies of Herbs
- Charleston, SC: Climate Action Pledge, asking folks to sign on and receive steps to start taking action